

I still have one notebook from when I was about ten years old. Almost every single page is covered with doodles and some of my first ever attempts at comics. This was before I became the self-important douche-bag that I am today.
A page of the alphabet and monkeys - just like Lynda Barry!
Also many attempts at a stylized "S" that I never did figure out how to draw.

There are not many notes in this notebook.

Okay, but this comic I figured out! It's the Frog Prince.

Let me explain: In this version there is a lady who is so wealthy she throws her necklace in the trash. She doesn't even need it. A happy-go-lucky street urchan sees this and retrieves one of the gold beads, only to drop it in a pond. She cries at her misfortune. A frog brings the bead/gold ball/whatever back to her and she kisses him on the eyeball. He turns into a prince and they live happily ever after, mostly because all the girl cares about is that ball.

Titles made of worms:
a technique I would repeat nearly 14 years later for my first assignment
at the Center for Cartoon Studies.


more similarities


Thanks for visiting my past with me.




3 comments:
thats tottally the stussy S on your monkeys and alphabet page, don't think you get it past me. Also, that is the sexiest picture of all time!
What is with that "S"? Why did we all draw that "S"? What was the stigma?
I don't know...I remember all the kids who could actually draw and had a clue were all over that S and I was trying to copy them. I still can't draw it - I just tried.
Post a Comment